So August is here and the site is still being developed. I’ve been away on holiday for one week in Scotland, and another just at home getting things done, and getting some riding in on the new GSR-750. Development on the site obviously took a bit of a break while I was away, but thoughts and ideas are still flowing, and we’ve got a few new bits and pieces to highlight in this month’s Site Update.
The biggest update is that all the sample site content has been removed, with the exception of the site logo and a few graphics that is.
- Front Page is now far more finished
- About page is now live
- Contributors Feature & Signup Page is now live
- Comments can now be left by logging in via WordPress.com, Facebook or Twitter.
- POI (Point of Interest) section added to cover things that aren’t really destinations but might be of interest (i.e: certain roads, tunnels, etc).
- Links – lots more links, and identification of sites that we’re not personally used.
- Calendar – A work in progress and mostly just a list recurring events for various biker café’s around the area.
- All Post Tags have been removed – These will be reinstated in the future when we’ve developed a strategy for them.
- Review of the AutoKicker Hero Tail Pack / Seat Bag by Tristan
- Review of the BikeKini Waterproof bike cover by Tristan
- Further Education section has now been created to cover training such as ROSPA, IAM, BikeSafe, etc, though the content hasn’t yet been added.
- Newlands Corner (Photos added on 14/08/16)
- Ryka’s Cafe (Photos coming soon)
- Nelson’s Diner (Photos coming soon)
- Whiteway’s Café (Photos coming soon)
- Southsea, Portsmouth (Photos added on 20/07/16)
- Hindhead Tunnel (Thanks to Steve Parker for the photos of the tunnel!)
So what’s next for the site? Before the official ‘Go-Live’, we need more content, and for that we need contributors. We’re already reaching out to product manufacturers and suppliers to bring in some awareness of the site and its content, but for now we’re putting in a freeze on all new content being published. This is because of the amount of manual work required when we migrate to our future potential domain name (and it also forces us to deal with it sooner rather than later)
Over the next month our main areas of focus will be:
- Site Branding
- Domain Name
- Site Logo & small logos
- Revisit the site color-scheme (I originally chose Red to match my YBR-125, but maybe it should change?)
- Site Migration
- Migrate to new domain name
- Overhaul ALL content for new domain name (thats a BIG Job – got to focus on Images and URL’s)
- Overhaul About Us page, adding a Mission Statement
- Restructure the Contributors Section to better integrate the Join page
- Photos for specific sections of the site
- Improving existing fixed-site content (not the articles/posts, but the pages)
- Bringing in more contributors
Expect to see far more, posts on the above over the coming month(s), which will hopefully promote some discussion and ideas.
If you think you’d be interested in contributing to the site, then please visit the Contributors Signup page for more information on how you can join.
Until next time, Ride Safe!